![]() |
| Me in another couple of weeks |
In anticipation of my Big Night Out On the
I proceeded home to bathe myself and do all the girly things one does, and it was at that point that I was confronted with the sad truth that I could not remember the last time I had shaved my legs. I wouldn't say I'm a particularly hirsute person but the state of my gams was truly astonishing and disturbing to behold.
By the time I left the house I was marginally presentable but the nagging feeling that I was descending into nappy-headed mountain woman territory roiled in the background. My inner hippie has at times been in deep hibernation but it seems it's on the precipice of coming out of hiding permanently despite my best efforts to sublimate it.
Did I mention that I ordered CARROTS as my main course? Carrots. Am I that girl?
Evidently. On a related note, this.
In other news, snow is officially fucking falling as I type this. The onslaught has begun. Today was the first day that necessitated wearing my much bandied about silk long johns. I have historically been incredibly bad at dressing for the weather, partly out of sheer laziness and partly out of sheer obliviousness. I fear for myself. It's hard enough as it is to continually dress and disrobe according to health codes at the farm, like some maniacal dairy-themed Mr. Rogers -- taking shoes off, putting clogs on, taking sweater off, putting smock on, taking smock off, putting apron on and so forth. But adding winter gear to the mix? It sends the mind reeling.
Add that to the list of things I need to master in order to survive, which also contains the following items:
- Know How To Build A Fire (I'm partially proficient in this)
- Be fucking prepared: A catchall that the above-mentioned winter wear could fall under but the importance of which has been illustrated by my haying experience, ie plan for a variety of possibilities and keep gear for all of these possibilities in your car at all times (I haven't even gotten into the Emergency Kit I've been told I need to have packed and ready in my vehicle in the event of inclement weather or other catastrophes).
- Don't be a stupid idiot dum-dum: As in, don't go 49 mph in a 25 mph zone, thus incurring a $100 speeding ticket that required drawing from a fund that was otherwise earmarked for aforementioned long johns. Also, don't wait until exactly 15 minutes before you have to be at work to realize that you have a layer of frost on your windshield that requires scraping and defrosting. Do not wear high heeled boots while driving. Do not go grocery shopping without a list. Do not stay up until the wee hours watching Gilmore Girls episodes when you need to be up at 6 am. Do not drink 2 bottles of wine and expect that some coffee will be sufficient to get you in any condition to drive an hour along dark mountain roads at 1 am.
Nice knowing you!

No comments:
Post a Comment